Saturday 31 December 2011

The Best Walk Awards - 2011

For the third year running I hand out awards (of the purely ceremonial kind) to my favourite walks of the year (now in four categories).


BEST WALK WITH IVC

This one was a beautiful Summer's walk, on the second sunday in April (?) Billericay-to-Brentwood-essex


BEST WALK ON MY OWN

Given that most waking on my own was over my usual haunts of Osterly Park/Grand Union Canal, Thames Towpath, and Richmond Park, there wasn't a lot of stand out candidates. However this walk from January was a very good day, as I recceed out this one from Country Walking magazine, to later lead IVC on. Dudswell-circular-Hertfordshire


BEST WALK WITH HELEN

As usual too many to pick from. However this one was a very good one, if for no other reason than the extraordinary carpeting of pink heather that we encountered. Win Hill (Circular)


BEST HOLIDAY WALK

A new category, but as it has featured strongly in previous awards, it is only right that it now comes into its own. With three holidays this year to: Isle of Wight, West Sussex, and finally Bath, there was a lot to choose from. However this for me was the stand out candidate. Freshwater Bay-circular-via-Yarmouth-and the Needles


As mentioned the three holiday's were the Highlights, and I am pleased I am still hanging in there with IVC (although probably not for much longer). The Lowlights however were a sense that walking has had to take a back seat for the latter part of the year, due to the whole flat purchasing/moving thing, and also that Luther is no longer fit enough to come out on long walks with me and Helen.

So to all my readers/followers and walking partners, have a great 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment